Learn the basics
Graphic designing is generally perceived as a very difficult career, however, it isn’t. Nevertheless, you cannot just start one day without learning the basics, and you cannot actually succeed until you get professional training. The basics you are just about to learn will help you go a long way in the industry.
What does a graphic designer do?
Well, they like to create things, ranging from a logo for a business, to creating visual designs and layouts for websites, magazines or billboards, to illustrations used in books. So basically, they create the visual aspect of any project.
What are the principles of design?
As a future graphic designer, you need to start from the basics. You must know the 8 principles of design, which are:
1. Unity – the ability to pull together a design and make it feel like one piece
2. Rhythm – the quality that reflects contrast, depth and recurrence
3. Proportion – depending on your intent, that can be realistic or unrealistic
4. Emphasis – the creation of a focal point to derive a result
5. Economy – provide only the part that the user needs to understand a design
6. Direction – guide the viewer through the designing process
7. Contrast – use of colour contrast and texture
8. Balance – invoking precise emotions
What are the elements of design?
For the execution of the eight principles of design that we just discussed, it is imperative to have the eight elements:
1. Value – create contrast in darkness and light
2. Texture – conveying the feel of 3D objects
3. Space – positivity or negativity
4. Movement – using composition to move the viewer during the design
5. Volume – creating 3D illusions
6. Colour – knowing your hues, shades and tones
7. Line – help in creation of objects
8. Typography – elements created by other elements
What is the best software for Graphic Design
To learn properly, it is important that you understand how software works and for that you need to know some programming languages. A large amount of software has been developed, yet it is difficult to identify the best one. According to a recent online review the best two programs during 2012 from a top ten list are Adobe Creative 5.5 and CorelDraw Graphics Suite.
How does graphic designing work?
Well. it’s a vast platform in which you can work with a well-known firm or work as a freelance graphic designer. Freelancers can work for the print media such as magazines, books and newspapers, or the digital media, like movie studios and television, or even advertisements and marketing firms.
You have now learnt the basic things you need to know before you decide to pursue it as a career. Every career has ups and downs, and there are no parameters to the income of an average graphic designer. The reason is that there is no scientific measure of creative talent. You could be your own benchmark for experience.
Author: Max Chohan