To someone who does not have experience in computer programming, computer software may seem like a complicated and unintelligible succession of characters and symbols. Aren’t you amazed at how these strings of characters can turn into something concrete that can solve problems and perform tasks with just a click of your computer mouse or with just a simple tap on your keyboard? If you’re like most people, you might also be wondering about how to write computer software.
Though the process involves a lot of things, and it can get really complicated at certain stages in the process, it’s possible to make your own software. There are just some basic things you need to know to be able to write your own computer software or program.
1. Determine what you want your software or program to do. Before you can start, you must visualize your software. Do you want to create a game? Do you want to create a software that can produce a certain output after all input has been entered? Knowing what you want to achieve will be the first step.
2. Keeping it simple and detailed. When working with any type of software, you must have an eye for details. After all, even just a simple mistake in one of the characters in your software can cause its failure to run. So, while you already have a basic visualization of what you want your software to achieve, you need to state it in step-by-step terms. You may have to make a flowchart diagram to be able to write down the different steps the program will perform according to certain commands.
3. Determine the means that you will employ to create the software. There are different programs in use by programmers today, and you can choose from these different programs according to your level of programming knowledge. If you do not have any programming background, it’s advised that you use a programming language that’s easy o familiarize with, like Visual Basic. Other available programs are C++, Pascal, Lisp, and many others. Other than your programming skill, the kind of language that you will use will also depend on the kind of program that you’re making. You can find different books and guides that will help you get started in the kind of language that you prefer.
4. When you’re already familiar with the language, you can now write the program depending on the flowchart that you have made-step by step according to your commands.
5. After this comes the testing, also called debugging. This is a common part of writing software, so don’t be disheartened if your software doesn’t run at first because it’s expected that you need to do a lot of debugging before things work.
Once you have learned how to write computer software and once you have experienced the feeling of turning mere codes and characters into something useful and fun, you may even find that you enjoy doing it. Computer programming is a lucrative industry, and it’s a good means to gaining financial success.
Author: Steven Winters