Confucius once said: “If all I do is hear, I will forget. If I hear and see, I will remember. If I hear, see and do, I will understand.”
On-the-Job-Training or OJT is job training that occurs in the work place. It has many advantages, but it can also have a few disadvantages if the OJT is not planned and executed properly. It is part of a college curriculum that aims to train and orient students about the work and their future career. It is very important not only to teach students their chosen career but to show students the reality about working.
Most students nowadays are not serious in their training. They don’t plan ahead and pick the best company that they can choose. Worst, they ended up cleaning the desk of their superior or doing unrelated tasks.
Here is why students should not take OJT for granted:
1. If you will get a high evaluation grade, your employer might hire you when you graduate.
2. Your background OJT is very important when applying for a job. Oftentimes, employers will ask you the relevance of your training to your course and to the position you are applying for.
3. Some companies will give you a monthly allowance if you are doing well in your tasks.
4. OJT will be your training ground. If you still have no idea on what is meant to be a worker, OJT will give a hint of career realities.
5. Your OJT superior my recommend your skills to other companies whom he knows.
6. It will give you a sense of confidence that you can use when applying for a job after graduation
7. Help individuals make informed career choices
Students should realize the importance of OJT on their future career. Having a good performance during OJT is very important especially now that there’s a tight competition towards job seekers and the high qualification of companies.
For articles about career move, visit DitoNa Articles
Author: Felix Teves Gomez